Search the blog

15 Feb 2009

Art Exhibitions & Sociological Space

Hi All,

we were very lucky to have Dr Malgorzata Lisiewicz, from the Art History Department at the University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznan, over this week on an Erasmus Scholar exchange. Malgorzata gave a really fascinating talk on Wednesday on the role that the The Grosvenor Gallery played in evolving Class identities in London in the late 19th century...this was delivered as part of our 'Perspectives on the Art Market' series of lectures...keep an eye out...there's more to come....and she also gave a very thought-provoking seminar paper for the MAs on Thursday, outlining some of the work she had undertaken as a curator for contemporary art exhibitions, and the relationships between her 'academic, theoretical' work and her 'practice' as curator...although, as Malgorzata quite rightly suggested, this is never an 'either/or' dichotomy......
I thought that the seminar was absolutely riveting, as Malgorzata brilliantly highlighted how sociologically 'thick', (and how gendered) the actual viewing 'spaces' of the exhibitions were...this was an implicit 'visitor study' of the highest order....and what was nice, (and we didn't actually plan it, honest!), was that our earlier discussion, in the first part of the seminar (on Cultural Led Urban Regeneration), was also focused on how we can think about space 'sociologically'....so all in all a satisfying session?..........
...what did you think?

Mark

2 comments:

  1. Two very rich, articulate talks (in much better English than my own). It was exciting to see both historical and contemporary perspectives, although it generally seems less problematic to give an academic paper than to present one's own practice - equally legitimate forms of research. I can understand how the relationship between artist and curator can be subject to a certain amount of tension in relation to generating meaning and shaping the visitor's movement through space. I didn't always agree but I was very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me say once again that it was a great privilege to be invited to the University of Leeds and have opportunity to give my two presentations. I thank Erasmus for patronizing my journey:) I am aware that both talks didn't leave much space for a discussion and exchange, and I regret, because this is the space one learns a lot from:) If anyone would like to ask a question about either presentation, I would be eager to hear your comments. Rebecca, thank you very much for your response. If you feel you would like to question any part of my presentation, or to share your doubts, you are cordially welcomed to do so and I would be happy to consider your comments in detail. My best to you all.

    ReplyDelete