Search the blog

26 Jul 2012

Heritage Spaces in South African 'Museums'

Hello All,

I had a really interesting (I think?) heritage experience in Cape Town, whilst I was staying in Stellenbosch for the World Economic History Congress at the University of Stellenbosch.  A heritage 'space' left as an open monument in Cape Town - District 6 - where the black population was forcibly removed in the 1970s during the apartheid regime.
District 6 - the empty spaces left after the clearance of the black inhabitants
District 6 Memorial Plaque
I thought that the empty spaces were a potent signifier for the traumatic events, when the homes of over 60,000 inhabitants were bulldozed. There is a commemorative plaque to the events - 

It felt a bit like an upside down archaeological site; instead of digging to recover the history, you could 'see' the history in the layers above the ground - intangible-tangible heritage.........it was actually quite moving to see these undeveloped spaces.  I understand that there are some plans to rebuild, but I think they should leave it as a memorial as a reminder of the events....

There is a District 6 Museum too, and I did actually try to visit it, but it seemed to be closed...or at least no-one answered the buzzer on the door.  Anyway, I enjoyed the empty spaces of District 6, but wondered if it needed a little more 'interpretation'....but maybe the local memory should be enough?

Mark

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the film District 9? An interesting sci fi interpretation! Not sure it has much to say about heritage though, tangible or otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca,

      I've heard of it...never seen it though..maybe the director made a deliberate connection?....but I also think that naming an 'area' in such a way is quite deliberately sinister (both in the film and in Cape Town)...
      m

      Delete