Search the blog

20 Apr 2013

Baroness Thatcher Museum

Thanks Nick for that thought-provoking post!..and 'provocation' does seem to be at the heart of these discussions about Mrs T - you'll notice that I've given the ex-prime minister her full title in the title for the post here....(isn't it interesting that the way one refers to the person seems to say a lot about what one thought about her?.....'ex-prime minister' sounds like a Monty Python sketch.....

Anyway, personally I'm pretty ambivalent about a Margaret Thatcher Museum, I can see reasons why and why not...my historian head tells me that we have a duty to do something with such a legacy?...I think what's interesting here is that the debates highlight that the museum (history even) is always intimately bound-up with the politicial...
My preference, if we are to have a Thatcher Museum, is to have a whole series of Thatcher Museums...across the country....I think that would be really interesting (and in Helen's phrase (if we're borrowing phrases), 'co-productive'!)...I'm sure Grantham would have a lovely, biographical museum, with lots of ephemera from Mrs T's dad's shop....my money would be on the museum in Barnsley though...now that would be a really interesting exercise in co-production!....My feeling is that it could be both a space for reconciliation, as well as vitriol?.....

Could be worse...think about Jeremy Bentham and his 'auto-icon'....!

Mark  

1 comment:

  1. what an unpleasant thought - mind you, perhaps she could still attend cabinet meetings!

    ReplyDelete