Search the blog

13 Nov 2013

How to help first year students?

So I am a first year student and enjoying my history of art degree thoroughly, however I want to see some art. Northern England is rich with museums, galleries, exhibitions-the like. But, being new to this area I have no idea where to go, what is good, or even what's on. Now lecturers say just 'get out there', buts it's hard to explore an area that you are completely unfamiliar about, as well as in a position where you're just getting to grips on how to do laundry. As an avid reader of this blog, I think it would be fantastic to get older students who have done this a bit more to do a '20 places to go before you leave uni' for this blog. Even provide a brief review? I know I've got some first years reading this blog and would definitely find it useful if this thing could crop up every now and then?

Any comments or ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I will ask my fellow 3rd years what they think and we can compile a list - I think it's a great idea!
    Subscribe to new posts in the top right column by entering your email and then as soon as people post feedback you should get a notification in your inbox.

    To start - next tuesday Maki Fukuoka (History of Art lecturer, who you may have encountered already!) is giving a talk at at the Melvin Moti installation, 6:30pm @ The Majestic (near the station).

    Our 'Critical Approaches to Photography' module are going down to watch it straight after our lecture with her. Spread the word across your year group and perhaps see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I agree! A lot of us on the masters course are very new to Leeds (and the UK!) and would benefit from the experience of those who have spent some time getting to know the arts and culture around here.

    ReplyDelete